Sakthikulangara - St. John de Britto’s Church
- Forane : Tangasseri
- Parish Priest : 77
- Address : St. John de Britto’s Church Sakthikulangara Kollam 691 581
- Phone No. : 0474-2771659
- E-mail :
- Website :
This parish was established in 1878 by Rt. Rev. Ildaphonsa Borgna Vicar Apostolic. It was part of Neendakara parish. The estuary where Ashtamudi lake confluence with the Arabian sea separate Sakthikulangara from Neendakara. At first the Catholic population was only about 300. It was Bishop Benziger who declared it as a separate parish in 1909. The church was extended and renovated, in the model of St. Peter’s Basilica under the leadership of Rt. Ret. Msgr. Valerian Fernandez and was blessed on April 3, 1971 by Bishop Jerome. This is one of the major fishing harbours in Kerala where mechanized fishing operation using trawlers, freezing and export thrive. Holy Mass is also offered in a shed at Bishop’s Island. The towering Sagara Matha Shrine by the side of the national highway and St. Joseph’s Shrine at Ozhukkuthodu are centers of devotion and prayer.