Parishes

  • image

Pavukkara - St. Peter’s Church

  • Forane : Mavelikkara
  • Parish Priest : 42
  • Address : St. Peter’s Church Pavukkara Mannar 689 632
  • Phone No. : 0479-2313610
  • E-mail :
  • Website :
Liturgical Timing

Set on the banks of the hallowed river Pampa, Pavukara Church is ancient.  The establishment of a Christian community is linked to traditions dating back to early centuries.  Niranam, one of the seven Churches founded by St. Thomas the Apostle is not far away.  The first Church is believed to have been built by Arch Bishop Menzez who built several Churches in Kerala after the Diammpur Synod.  Portuguese Missionaries from Goa ministered in Pavukara for a period of time.  Arch Bishop Menezez himself visited the Church.  The official erection of the Parish was in 1792.  For a long period of time Pavukara was the only Church for Catholics in Central Travancore.  Christians from Chenganoor, Harippad, Thiruvalla and Mavelikara would travel to Pavukara by boat for Sunday Mass.  The church has undergone reconstruction, modification and extension several times.